Monday, September 5, 2011

Masks

I have a mask that I wear; just as you often do. We wear these masks usually in busy, crowded rooms. Occasionally, we take them off--revealing our inner selves. When we take them off, it is a special and rare affair. It is only taken off for people we are closest to; ones we truly love and have no fear of disclosing our beauty from within.

However, there are times when we fool those around us. We make them believe we are unveiling our private faces when we are only uncovering another mask. Why do we do this? I think I have found the answer: protection from vulnerable situations. Our masks then turn to shields guarding any useless attempt to know the face that lies beyond the mask.

So then the question must be asked: who do we truly untie the strings for? We have best friends; we have loved ones; we have good company--all of which secrets can be expressed. Who do we trust?

My reluctancy lies within those who mask as open and willing. It lies with those who may seem genuinely interested only to reveal the mask of one who's intentions are the least bit curious about my face. And when I do expose my face, defenseless to all who are around me, I feel as though even more disguises appear around me. Welcoming masks soon turn to masks full of conjectures to dangled in front of you.

Ironically, I am guilty of the prior. I am guilty of my fear of masks. So which mask is it that I wear today? That depends on which you want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment