Thursday, February 16, 2012

Lima Beans

I am awkward. There. I said it. There is nothing you can do about something that's already been flaunted to the world--well the world of those who actually READ my blog..haha. I do feel there are different variances of awkward. However, it seems that most people do fit into the category of innocent clumsiness. We are all awkward in our own ways. I guess it depends on whether or not your parents are awkward and lets be honest: they all are.

However, there are a select few that fit into the rank of a food. Mine? Lima beans. They are the one oddity in the bunch of mixed vegetables. I mean honestly, we are sitting here eating these wonderful veggies: carrots, peas, corn; ALL with the same consistency and texture. Then you take a highly anticipated bite which turns into a completely different experience. You thought you were eating something that came from the ground when in fact, this "unidentified" object ends up shocking you into something you never even imagined would occur within any crevasse of your soul. It's dry. It's bland; and frankly, it's an acquired taste.

It can electrify some who are unprepared to experience the texture to the point that they never wish to taste it again. But I look at that lima bean with a smile on my face and learn to selectively eat them prior to their veggie neighbors. I love that little lima, with it's crescent smiling shape and inconsistant texture. I like awkward. I like different. I like the genuine honesty that only a lima bean can deliver.

So what I'm saying, folks, is I want more. I want more lima beans, more beets, possibly more buttons; but overall I want more awkward. And I want society to be okay with that.

Maybe someday you'll have the pleasure of figuring out your classification--food or animal? It's up to you. As for me? I'm a lima bean.

1 comment:

  1. Heyyyyyy this means we really can be friends! I'm as awkward as they come. Meaning, of course, that I know how to properly act in social settings but I choose not to.

    ReplyDelete