Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Life-long Lessons at a Call Center

It all started in the summer of '69. No, that's NOT when I bought my first real six-string (see what I did there?) It was a summer full of heartache--mostly on the opposing side. Tears were shed. Countless prayers were raised. One is recalled in particular: "Lord, I am done. I don't want to court. If you want me to marry, you'll have to make it happen." Peace came. She was going to marry a minister.

She lived in Loving, Texas: population 500. It was June. It was beautiful outside--a car-washing day. One thing led to another and memories were made of soaking wet clothes. A fellow friend ran up to her, "Linda! There's a new minister in town! He's young and single and at the back of the store! Go meet him!"

Meanwhile, this young minister had no intentions of marrying. He, too recognized that if he were to marry, it'd be in the Lord's hands. Linda knew that this would be her spouse. How could she meet him soaking wet? Well she did anyway. Her prayer that night consisted of the following: "Lord, if I am supposed to marry this man, he'd better ask me out for this Friday, to Guys and Dolls. Otherwise, I'm through with this whole thing."

He called her the next day and asked her to the very thing she desired. Six months later, they were married.

It's been 43 years now. Their love stronger than ever. They age in time but more so in beauty. Both doubtful. Both hopeless. Both fought and won.

Linda told me not to lose hope. "Adam didn't even know he needed a helpmeet. If he did, he'd have married a monkey. Avoid monkeys, dear."

And this is what I get to experience at work: life-long lessons of pain, joy, suffering, blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment