Sunday, March 25, 2012

Resonating Hope

Her hands were warn with work. They shook as she pet the keys of the piano. Memory gone, talent not nearly exercised enough over the last ten years. She had experience in her eyes and though a stroke took part of her memory, music still echoed in her mind. Where had she gone, whom had she known? It didn't matter. It was in her song that her fingers struggled to recall. She trembled on every note, but played from her heart.

I quietly sat and watched. Not too close. I wanted to feel of the love she had for her crudely played piece. Finally, I asked, "How long have you played?"

"Before or after the stroke? I'm 96 years old. I've played since I was 6. Then that happened. Now I sound like this. How embarrassing?" Her answer was strained with tears.

I began to reflect on my life. My notes in adventures. Would I come to a point where I didn't remember? I then told her it was time for my choir to sing for her. Elderly gathered around. Many were veterans of the home we were at.

Our words echoed through halls: Here is love unbounded; Here is all compassion; Here is mercy founded: Oh, Great Redeemer!

I went up to her afterwords, grabbed her hands, and with a joy exclaimed, "Just so you know, even if you are terrible at the piano--which you aren't-- it's the effort that counts. It's what is in your heart--and you have that faith. Thank you for teaching me that."

I have smiled ever since. We have such a blessing on this earth. We have the chance to express that Love that we feel; the Joy that we know; and the Hope that we trust. And this weekend is exactly how my loved friends and I went about that. We sang of peace through Him that loves us. We prayed through song. We laughed in joy.

This was my "happily-ever after" movie. My cheeks hurt from smiling. I regained joy, hope, peace, love, friendship, talent, prayer, and so much more.

And words of sweet song still resonate:

All of my life; all of my days; STILL not enough to sing [His] praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment